Smart & Final Stores Inc. is the latest retailer to take a step in the race toward grocery delivery with the launch of its new app, Shop Smart & Final, powered by Instacart.
Catered toward household, nonprofit and business customers, the app offers personalized, same-day delivery within two hours or less, provides real-time order fulfillment updates and directly connects customers with their personal shopper.
The app marks an expansion of Smart & Final’s online delivery platform via Instacart, introduced last August, and follows Walmart’s recent partnership with DoorDash for same-day delivery, as well as Amazon’s in-car delivery service and its expansion of same-day delivery from Whole Foods in new cities.
“We’re always looking to improve the customer experience for both household and business customers,” Smart & Final CMO Eleanor Hong said in a statement. “It’s important that we adapt to and adopt shopping models that can help Smart & Final customers save time and money on meals both in-store and on-the-go, without sacrificing taste and quality. The Smart & Final app is the next step to doing just that.”
The Shop Smart & Final app’s features include:
- Saved shopping lists. Shoppers can create and save custom shopping lists for quick re-orders.
- Group carts. Customers can add products to a shared cart to help streamline inventory for large events.
- Direct communication with personal shoppers. The live chat feature provides direct contact with the personal shopper, allowing customers to make real-time changes to their order up until payment.
- Real-time order fulfillment updates. The app sends push notifications to its shoppers as stages of the order are completed. Once the transaction is finished, shoppers can track their order’s location as it is being delivered.
- One- and two-hour delivery services. One-house delivery is available for a $$7.99 fee, and two-hour delivery is available for a $5.99 fee. Delivery rates apply to $35 minimum orders.