Following in the footsteps of Hannaford, which recently expanded its private brand-based loyalty program chainwide, Weis Markets has now also upgraded its Weis Preferred Shopper program.
The program offers discount rewards on nine Weis-brand products, including Weis Quality ice cream and bananas, in addition to gas. It has also added a 10% discount on Weis-brand items every Tuesday for seniors 60 years and older.
The program appears to be poised for rapid growth, as Ron Bonacci, Weis Markets' VP of marketing and advertising, says it grew by 311% in just the first four weeks following the updates.
"I can see that number multiplying exponentially," he told Winsight Grocery Business. "When your base is small, you have the opportunity to grow very rapidly."
Bonacci says the improvements were born from a desire to meet the needs of more of the retailer's customer base, therefore growing loyalty, and allowing customers who do not have access to Weis gas stations and third-party fuel providers to participate in the points program.
The program also expands reward opportunities outside of groceries and fuel, allowing shoppers to cash in their points on items such as gift cards and holiday promotions.
Bonacci says the senior citizens program demonstrates the retailer's commitment to its customers.
"We decided to create a companywide senior citizens program and initiated it at the same time as our other rewards program, so we're really revamping our 'how to go to market' strategy with our customer base and building out some opportunities to help those in need," he says.
Customers can earn one point for every dollar spent using their Weis Preferred Shopper Card when purchasing their groceries. When they earn 100 points, they can receive the following discounts:
- A 10 cent per gallon discount at Weis Gas’ N Go fuel centers and participating Sheetz, Mirabito, High’s and Carroll Motor Fuels locations
- $0.19 per pound bananas
- $0.39 for a 20-ounce loaf of Weis Quality Sandwich Bread
- $0.39 for a single fresh-baked muffin
- $0.39 for one roll of Weis Quality Paper Towels
- $0.99 for a 4-pound bag of Weis Quality Sugar
- $0.99 for a 48-ounce container of Weis Quality Ice Cream
- $1.99 for a 16-count package of Weis Quality American Cheese Singles
- $1.99 for a 1.25-pound package of Certified Angus 75% lean ground beef
- $3.99 for a gallon of Weis Quality Organic Milk