Meijer is adding five fresh, protein-based salads to its deli case in all stores across its six-state footprint.
The move was inspired by recent flavor trends, according to Meijer officials, and the Meijer test kitchen chefs created the protein-based salads to make summertime meal prep and entertaining easier and more convenient.
The new salads include:
- Nashville Hot Chicken Salad: A combination of rich buttermilk, dried chilies and spices. The flavor is typically sold in fried chicken form and served with a pickle, but this salad version includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, spicy dried chili, sweet pickle relish and tangy buttermilk.
- Korean BBQ Chicken Salad: Korean BBQ is a sweet-and-spicy sauce composed of fermented chilies, honey, ginger, soy and toasted sesame oil. Drawing on these flavors, the salad includes shredded rotisserie-style chicken, Asian BBQ flavors, red bell pepper, sweet mango, green onion and toasted sesame seeds.
- Lemon Dill Tuna Salad: As an alternative to chicken, this non-mayo-based salad uses albacore tuna combined with fresh herbs and a light lemon vinaigrette.
Meijer is also rolling out two new vegetarian salads that can work as a Meatless Monday dinner option:
- Brussels Sprout and Broccoli Slaw Salad: Forgoing the mayonnaise base of slaws, this crispy slaw includes fresh-shaved Brussels sprouts and broccoli, sweet apple chunks, shaved Parmesan cheese, crunchy walnuts and sweet-and-smoky vinaigrette.
- Asian Slaw: This kale-based slaw is a mix of sweet red bell peppers, crunchy almonds, cilantro and sweet onion vinaigrette.