The Food Marketing Institute (FMI) honored several exceptional store managers picked from a pool of finalists for leadership and career achievements at its Future Leaders eXperience.
According to FMI officials, the winners "pioneered new initiatives supporting e-commerce tactics in their stores, fostered new talent in food retail and served their communities to the highest levels."
“In a world increasingly enamored with technology, it becomes a point of differentiation to have quality, meaningful connections with people,” said FMI President and CEO Leslie Sarasin. “Store managers make that point of differentiation a flesh-and-blood reality. They are motivating their employees to create memorable in-store and online experiences that keep shoppers personally engaged and coming back for more.”
The award winners are as follows:
- Al Gartner of Lunds & Byerlys, Woodbury, Minn.
- Kathy Sweigert of Giant Martin’s, State College, Penn.
- Pam Hudson of Dillons Food Stores, a division of The Kroger Co., Hutchinson, Kan.
- Joanne Walker of SPAR Northern Ireland/Henderson Group, County Down, Northern Ireland
- Mitch Cochran of Food City, Cleveland, Tenn.
Each 2018 Store Manager Award winner receives a $1,000 prize and a crystal award. For the fourth year, FMI continued to host the People’s Pick Facebook contest, which received more than 8,800 votes. The contest winner, Mitch Cochran, will receive a special trophy and $500 to celebrate his store’s employees.