The National Grocers Association (NGA) revealed the winning retailers for its 2018 Creative Choice Awards competition, which honors the best marketing and merchandising programs in the grocery industry that have increased item or department sales, positively impacted overall store sales or provided a unique benefit to the community.
The contest featured 10 different categories with two winners for each—one entry from a one- to 15-store operator, and one entry from an operator with 15 or more stores. More than 450 entries were judged based on the criteria of creativity, clarity and effectiveness by a panel of industry experts.
Voting is now open for the highest level of Creative Choice Awards, in the Outstanding Merchandiser and Outstanding Marketer titles, through Feb. 9.
The winners will be will be formally recognized at the upcoming NGA Show, Feb. 11-14, in Las Vegas.
Marketing campaigns and merchandising events and promotions held between Dec. 1, 2016, and Dec. 1, 2017, were eligible for this year's Creative Choice Awards program, which is sponsored by Kellogg’s and Unilever.
The full list of 2018 Creative Choice Awards winners includes:
- Category 1: Connections Through Social Media and Digital Marketing
- 1-15 store winner: Mobile Opt-In Campaign, Nutrition Smart
- 15+ store winner: What’s For Dinner, Lowe’s Market
- Category 2: Connections Through TV Radio
- 1-15 store winner: Macey’s Moments, Macey’s
- 15+ store winner: Toddler Taste Test Videos, Quincy County Market
- Category 3: Connections Through Print
- 1-15 store winner: “Experts” Campaign, Newport Avenue Market
- 15+ store winner: Cub Quick & Easy Meals, Cub
- Category 4: Integrated Marketing Campaign
- 1-15 store winner: Daily Harvest Values, Walla Walla's Harvest Foods
- 15+ store winner: More Rewards 2.0 Launch, Coborn’s, Inc.
- Category 5: Grand Opening or Remodel
- 1-15 store winner: Macey’s Murray Grand Opening, Macey’s
- 15+ store winner: 10Box Springdale Grand Opening, Harp’s Food Stores Inc.
- Category 6: Single Manufacturer Event
- 1-15 store winner: Wisconsin Cheese Extravaganza, Acquistapace's Covinton Supermarket
- 15+ store winner: Purina Pet Photo Contest & Buy a Bag Give a Bag program, Houchens Industries
- Category 7: Store Event
- 1-15 store winner: Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Dipping, Dorothy Lane Market
- 15+ store winner: Produce Sidewalk Sales, McKay’s Foods and Pharmacy
- Category 8: Public Service or Charitable Cause Event
- 1-15 store winner: Bags for Bees, Honey Bee Produce Company
- 15+ store winner: American Flag Made of 2,028 Cupcakes, County Market
- Category 9: Center Store/GM/HBC
- 1-15 store winner: One Day Case Sale Event—Introduction of Our Family, Leppink's Food Centers
- 15+ store winner: Miner's Inc. Letter Carrier's Food Drive, Burning Tree Rd Super One
- Category 10: Perimeter Departments
- 1-15 store winner: What’s for Dinner Tuesday, Newport Avenue Market
- 15+ store winner: Misfit Produce, Coborn’s Inc.
WANT BREAKING NEWS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS?
Get today’s need-to-know grocery industry intelligence. Sign up to receive texts from Winsight Grocery Business.