Dollar General is launching exclusive summer promotions with major brands such as Coca-Cola, Hershey’s and Kellogg’s, featuring new products as well as a new premium beauty brand, Studio Selection.
Officials said the moves would help further distinguish Dollar General, which has traditionally emphasized discounted name-brand products to tout a pricing edge on competitors. The summer promotion campaign follows the retailer's Innovation and Supplier Diversity Summit in April, which aimed to enhance its product assortment and expand its vendor pool.
“Dollar General is excited to deliver a summer of savings to our customers,” EVP and Chief Merchandising Officer Jason Reiser said in a statement. “We look forward to helping all of our customers enjoy the summer by offering the value and convenience they have come to expect from Dollar General.”
Featured products and promotions include:
- Second Annual Military Share a Coke Can Series: Dollar General has teamed up with Coca-Cola for the second annual Share a Coke series in recognition of the U.S. military community. The promotion, exclusive to Dollar General stores, is running from Memorial Day through Labor Day featuring 16-ounce Coke cans available for $1 each. The companies plan to donate $100,000 to the United Service Organizations (USO).
- Red Bull Camo Can: Also in support of the military community, this summer promotion features a limited-edition Red Bull camouflage can available for $3.50 each. A portion of the sales, up to $15,000, will be donated to the USO.
- Studio Selection: Dollar General’s new Studio Selection line includes shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, body wash, facial cleansers and moisturizers, bath fragrances and more, available at affordable prices with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The line launches in late June.
- Summer Splash Skittles: The new limited-edition flavor from Skittles is available exclusively at Dollar General stores beginning in late June, featuring strawberry, blue raspberry, orange, kiwi, banana and watermelon flavors for 85 cents per 2-ounce bag.
- Hershey’s Military Collection: Dollar General has partnered with Hershey’s to offer a tribute to the military community with an exclusive promotion for Hershey’s XL Appreciation Bars. Available in Hershey’s Milk Chocolate, Hershey’s Milk Chocolate with Almonds, KitKat Crisp Wafers and Reese’s, the wrappers include thank-you notes to U.S. servicemembers, while the proceeds will contribute to a $10,000 donation to the USO.
- Steven Tyler Out on a Limb DVD: Beginning June 5, the discount retailer is offering Steven Tyler’s new DVD, offering a recount of the musician’s career, through Aug. 28 for $9.95.
- Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes Chocolate With Marshmallows: Another exclusive offer at Dollar General stores, Frosted Flakes Chocolate with Marshmallows will be available in July for $3 per box.
- Crisp Apple and Tangerine Clementine Chapstick: New flavors including Tangerine Clementine and Crisp Apple, as well as Fruit Punch and Grape ChapStick flavors, are available for $1.25 only at Dollar General stores this year.
- Nutro: In line with National Pet Month in May, the retailer is offering Nutro dog food options, a non-GMO specialty pet food at affordable prices. The line includes a variety of wet and dry food and is available from June 17 through July 21, where customers can save $5 for every $20 purchase.