In continuation of its ongoing commitment in diversity and inclusion, Meijer announced it is investing $1 million in 19 Urban League chapters across the Midwest.
"Meijer cares about the communities it serves, and we recognize that it takes time, dedication and thoughtful actions to make a positive difference," Meijer President and CEO Rick Keyes said in a release. "We are dedicated to strengthening our D&I efforts and applaud the National Urban League's commitment to provide economic empowerment, educational opportunities and the guarantee of civil rights.”
The $1 million contribution will be given to the following Urban League chapters:
- Akron Community Service Center & Urban League in Cleveland
- Chicago Urban League
- Columbus Urban League
- Fort Wayne Urban League
- Grand Rapids Urban League
- Indianapolis Urban League
- Lorain County Urban League in Cleveland
- Louisville Urban League
- Milwaukee Urban League
- Quad County Urban League in North Chicago
- Southwestern Michigan Urban League
- Tri-County Urban League in Central Illinois
- Urban League of Detroit & Southeastern Michigan
- Urban League of Greater Cleveland
- Urban League of Greater Southwestern Ohio in Cincinnati
- Urban League of Lexington-Fayette County
- Urban League of Northwest Indiana
- Urban League of Racine & Kenosha
- Urban League of Springfield in Central Illinois
"We are on a journey at Meijer, and believe this investment in these Urban Leagues will help bring a future of hope, equality and respect for our Black and African American communities," said Tim Williams, VP of diversity and inclusion for Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Meijer.
Part of Meijer’s commitment to diversity and inclusion includes bringing more diverse-owned brands to it shelves. It will host its second Supplier Diversity Summit from May 4-6, giving certified minority-, LGBTQ-, woman-, veteran- and disability-owned businesses the chance to showcase their retail-ready products to interested merchants.
WANT BREAKING NEWS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS?
Get today’s need-to-know grocery industry intelligence. Sign up to receive texts from Winsight Grocery Business.