Sam’s Club, Tops Friendly Markets Prioritize EVs on Earth Day

Sam's offering rewards for EV drivers, while Tops plans to add 14 new charging stations this year
EV charging
Photograph: Shutterstock

Retailers Sam’s Club and Tops Friendly Markets announced separately on April 22 that they will make electric vehicles (EVs) a priority on Earth Day and beyond, with Sam's Club offering Sam’s Club Mastercard cardholders additional rewards for EV drivers and Tops planning to add 14 new EV charging stations this year.

Beginning May 1, Bentonville, Ark.-based Sam's Club said members with a Sam’s Club Mastercard will earn 5% back in Sam’s Cash on EV charges at eligible EV charging stations in the United States, the warehouse retailer said in a statement. During the month of May, cardholders will also earn an additional 5% back on EV charges for a total of 10% back in Sam’s Cash.

Sam's Cash is new loyalty rewards program that Sam's Club launched earlier this year to simplify the way members earn and spend rewards, said Ciara Anfield, SVP and chief member and marketing officer of Sam’s Club. “The addition of a way for members with a Sam’s Club Mastercard to earn more Sam’s Cash when they charge their EV, on top of our existing program, is yet another way we are working hard to offer an incredible value every day,” she said in a statement.

Williamsville, N.Y.-based supermarket chain Tops announced on Earth Day that it is in talks with Tesla and other vendors and anticipates adding 14 new EV charging stations in 2022. The grocer also said it is excited for its partnerships in furthering the company's sustainability initiatives.

“Our ongoing commitment to sustainability is met with enthusiasm and resolve every day, as we work to ensure we leave our communities—and our planet—better for the next generation,” said John Persons, president of Tops Friendly Markets, in a statement. “We are excited to be working with so many business partners whose values align with our environmental conservation vision.”

Kathy Sautter, public and media relations manager for Tops, added, “Tops EV charging stations are environmentally conscious and convenient and tie perfectly into Tops' sustainability efforts and mission, reducing environmental waste and energy consumption all while providing our customers with sustainably sourced, high-quality products."

Tops said its EV charging stations are currently available at Tops stores in LaGrangeville, Williamsville, Rhinebeck, and New Paltz, N.Y. 

Tops also said for 2022 it will increase its use of solar energy. The grocery retailer said it has partnered with EDP Renewables to provide solar power to more store locations. “Together with Convergent Power + Energy and now EDP, 82 stores will have energy saving solar power,” the grocer said in a statement.

Tops said it originally teamed up with Convergent in 2021 to deliver more renewable energy to upstate New Yorkers in the form of community solar paired with battery storage.  Tops said the partnership allows for its stores to be powered by solar farms, reducing the grocers stores’ carbon footprint. 

Looking to further enhance its fleet of trucks, Tops said it will also convert over to 48 new CNG trucks. Fueled with clean burning natural gas, opposed to diesel fuel, these new trucks will eliminate 3,246 MT of carbon dioxide equivalent per year by fueling 1,000,000 DGEs of RNG, the company said in a statement.


More from our partners