Tops Friendly Markets plans to remodel a number of its upstate New York stores and add new e-commerce features as part of a $40 million capital improvement program after emerging from Chapter 11 in November.
The remodels will aim to create an atmosphere that highlights the fresh departments and will offer expanded produce, bakery, deli and cafe carryout options, the company said. The floor-to-ceiling renovations will also include the exterior facades, landscaping and parking lots.
Additionally, the stores will boast new flooring, cart corrals, shopping carts and decor and be outfitted with energy efficient equipment.
John Persons, president and CEO of Tops, highlighted "expanded refrigerated produce allowing for more variety and convenience, new offerings including an in-store cut fruit and vegetable program, and an increase of antibiotic-free meat and seafood selections,” adding that the retailer is also looking to bring a new coffee shop and comfortable sit-down area to a few of the locations.
By May, Tops will roll out a click-and-collect program in 20 of its stores, with further expansion and potentially a delivery option in the works.
“When we create an even more exceptional shopping experience and help make grocery shopping simple, friendly and easy, our shoppers benefit at the end of the day," Persons said.
The following stores will be the first remodeled, with the phase two stores in the planning and permitting process. The stores will remain open during the remodeling efforts:
· 1600 Cedar St., Elmira, N.Y. - This location also includes a new fuel site. Re-grand opening will be May 8.
· 156 Church St., Saranac Lake, N.Y.
· 700 Thruway Plaza, Cheektowaga, N.Y. – Re-grand opening will be June 4.
· 12775 Broadway, Alden, N.Y. – Re-grand opening will be June 25.
· 128 W. Main St., Leroy, N.Y.- Re-grand opening will be July 16.
· 1740 Sheridan Drive, Buffalo, N.Y.