The United Fresh Produce Association has released its list of recipients for this year’s Retail Produce Manager Awards Program, marking its 14th year of recognizing the industry’s exceptional retail produce managers.
The honorees represent supermarket banners, commissaries and retail stores, including Kroger, Meijer and Albertsons, among others, from 17 different states and Canada. The winners will be honored guests at the United Fresh 2018 convention, to be held June 25-27 in Chicago.
Sponsored by Dole Food Co., the program recognizes produce managers who have helped to increase sales and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables through innovation in merchandising, special displays and promotions, as well as community service and commitment to customer satisfaction.
“Produce managers are the face of our industry to the consumer,” Tom Stenzel, president and CEO of United Fresh, said in a statement. “Their creative merchandising and positive approach to customer service directly correlates to the growth of sales and ultimately consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables.”
The winners were selected from hundreds of nominations submitted by retailers and produce suppliers across the industry. All recipients, along with their corporate produce directors, will be honored at United Fresh 2018 during the Retail-Foodservice Celebration Breakfast on Wednesday, June 27, at the McCormick Place convention center in Chicago. In addition to their awards, five grand-prize recipients will each receive a $1,000 cash prize.
“Today and every day, the contribution these exceptional produce managers make for us all in sharing with their customers their knowledge and expertise on the selection, preparation and benefits of fresh produce is something worth our thanks and recognition,” Tim Stejskal, general manager and SVP of sales for Dole Fresh Vegetables, said in a statement. “Dole is privileged to be the company that gets to express this gratitude on behalf of our industry through our support of the United Fresh Produce Manager Award."
The 2018 Retail Produce Manager Award winners include:
- Mandy Aniciete, Brookshire Grocery Co., Mt. Pleasant, Texas
- Clint Baskett, Raley's Family of Fine Stores, Sparks, Nev.
- Laura Boeke, Carter's Supermarket, Walker, La.
- Jack Bogan, Stop & Shop/Ahold, Dedham, Mass.
- Gustavo Cadena, Grocery Outlet, Richmond, Calif.
- Paul Calkins, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Latham, N.Y.
- Shelly Carlock, FoodMaxx/The Save Mart Companies, Redding, Calif.
- Coty Edward Jones, Meijer, South Bend, Ind.
- Heather Gengler, Hy-Vee Inc., Springfield, Mo.
- Tyler Gibson, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Crossville, Tenn.
- William Graham, Nellis AFB Commissary, Las Vegas
- Devon Hoffer, Marketplace Foods, Minot, N.D.
- Mike Martin, Tops Friendly Markets, Manlius, N.Y.
- Travis Michael, Safeway/Albertsons Cos., Portland, Ore.
- Wade Michels, Big Y Foods Inc., Guilford, Conn.
- Patrick Norman, Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Charlotte, N.C.
- Tony Rivolta, Zehrs Markets, LaSalle, Ontario, Canada
- Ron Rolston, Friday Harbor Market Place, Friday Harbor, Wash.
- Patrick Ryan, Roche Bros. Supermarkets, Wellesley, Mass.
- Justen Sturch, Schnuck Markets Inc., St. Louis
- Nate Swan, Coborn's Inc., Sartell, Min.
- Bill Taylor, Martin's Super Markets, South Bend, Ind.
- Daniel Tellier, Metro Ontario Inc., Orangeville, Ontario, Canada
- Steven Thorp, Southeastern Grocers, LLC, Lakeland, Fla.
- Steve Waggoner, The Kroger Co.-Dillons Food Stores, Wichita, Kans.
Since the program began in 2005, nearly 300 retail produce managers, representing more than 100 different retail banners, have been honored for their contributions to the industry.