Harris Teeter hosted a free farmers market to help its customers meet local farmers.
The program is part of the retailer's "Meet Your Neighbor" program. Shoppers will receive a free bag of fresh local produce and have the opportunity to meet the people who grew their complimentary food.
Participants were able to match items such as tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, squash, Vidalia onions, sweet potatoes and more.
Additionally, the event featured free watermelon sampling with Watermelon Queens of North and South Carolina, the Harris Teeter mascot Harry the Happy Dragon and the Harris Teeter Ice Cream Truck with complimentary Hunter Farms ice cream.
The event took place at the Rea Farms location in Charlotte, N.C., on June 15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and welcomed the following participating farmers:
- Virginia Produce Co.: Hillsville, Va.
- Nature’s Way Farms: Faison, N.C.
- G&R Farms: Glennville, Ga.
- WP Rawl: Pelion, S.C.
- Bailey Farms Inc.: Oxford, N.C.
- Lenny Boy: Charlotte, N.C.
- Willis Produce: Bamberg, S.C.
- Cottle Farms: Faison, N.C.
- Lucky Clays Fresh: Albemarle, N.C.
- Cotton Hill Farms: Chester, S.C.
- Titan Farms: Ridge Springs, S.C.
- Shenandoah Growers: Harrisonburg, Va.