Amid an unprecedented period of transformation, Winsight Grocery Business is pleased to showcase a compilation of the most influential leaders in food retailing today, courtesy of nominations submitted on their behalf during an open call for nominations in August.
The swatch of senior-level retail executives are each making transformative contributions to their companies—in both expected and unexpected ways—with fearless leadership, iconoclastic mindsets, superior team-building and transformative results. While some of the 18 individuals chosen as inaugural Grocery Game Changers represent a new breed of grocery groundbreakers who are helping to redefine their companies’ infrastructure, culture and overall mindset, others are familiar formidable forces that have proven to be as adaptable as they are talented, evident in their legacies of entrenched grocery industry experience.
Regardless of their standing as being new to the industry or seasoned incumbents, they all share three essential traits required of successful retail leaders today: exceptional talent, enterprising drive and incisive vision. And they are all infusing all three to move both their companies and the industry forward in ways that were unimaginable only a few short years ago.
WGB’s charter slate of Grocery Game Changers include:
- Anil Aggarwal, founder and CEO, Shoptalk/Groceryshop
- Jag Bath, chief digital officer, H-E-B; president and CEO of its wholly owned subsidiary Favor
- Yael Cosset, chief digital officer, The Kroger Co.
- Jim Donald, president and CEO, Albertsons Cos.
- Johannes Fieber, President and CEO, Lidl U.S.
- J.J. Fleeman, president, Peapod Digital Labs; chief e-commerce officer, Ahold Delhaize USA
- Jason Hart, CEO, Aldi U.S.
- Gary and Sterling Hawkins, founder/CEO and co-founder, Center for Advancing Retail Technology (CART)
- Chris Lane, EVP, Wakefern Food Corp.
- Bo and Trish Sharon, co-founders, Lucky’s Market
- Steve Kessel, SVP, Amazon
- Terry Ledbetter, chief information officer, Meijer Inc.
- Marc Lore, president and CEO, Walmart E-commerce U.S.
- Amin Maredia, CEO, Sprouts Farmers Markets
- Apoorva Mehta, CEO, Instacart
- Steven Spinner, chairman and CEO, UNFI
- John Ross, CEO, IGA
- Donna Tweeten, EVP, CMO and CCO, Hy-Vee Inc.
Profiles of WGB's 2018 Grocery Game Changers can be found on the companion slideshow here.
WANT BREAKING NEWS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS?
Get today’s need-to-know grocery industry intelligence. Sign up to receive texts from Winsight Grocery Business.